Sunday, June 10, 2007

Sending our boys to battle without the Church?

Sitting here I see on the news that there is a need for Chaplains but specifically Roman Catholic Priests in the Military. On my way to being a Priest, I have conflicted emotions about this. The Catholic Church does lean in favor of non-war, however they realize there can be a just war. However, aren't we also called to stand up and defend the sheep of Jesus Christ as his workers in the field? Doesn't this extreme form of selfless love demand defence of the weak and helpless? Should we be at the front lines of waring Armies? I am a huge fan of Bishop Fulton J. Sheen's Patriotism for this country, but where should we be drawing the line? If anyone has any comments about this I would really like to dialogue this. I think personally, although I am still thinking about it, I would feel obligated to go out and defend the sheep of the flock. Isn't that the sign of the Good Shepard, willing to go and fight the wolves when they come? Vengeance is God's alone.

No comments: